Yoga, Tai Chi and Timber Framing

Timbers are heavy.
They have taught me the importance of a healthy back and hips.
Flexibility and strength is key to working with heavy objects.
Strength alone will eventually break without flexibility.

Yoga simply means to 'yolk' or join body and mind harmoniously.
When body and mind are flexible and working together,
One is strong and does not break easily.

Tai Chi simply means flow of energy.
Energy can collide or flow.
If one learns to flow with one's energy,
the path of least resistance is achieved.
The path of least resistance is the ultimate strength,
and conservation of energy.

Timber framing simply means to 'yolk' or join timbers harmoniously.
The job of the timber framer is to join timbers harmoniously,
using the path of least resistance.

Whatever sport I did, my coaches had me stretch and warm up my body. If I didn't do this, I inevitably pulled a muscle or strained a ligament or tendon. As I don't play organized sport anymore, I no longer have coaches encouraging me to stretch. As I have aged I have found my body to become less flexible. It was a serious back injury that has finally lead me back to stretching and bringing flexibility back into my life.

I discovered Yoga in university. Yoga is basically a comprehensive system of stretching that involves the body, mind and breath. It has greatly increased the quality of my life. As I work in this industry of joining heavy timbers I notice many injuries to myself and others that can be avoided by this daily practice.

One basic healing quality I have found to be highly beneficial to my body is in the 'asanas' or postures. For example, there are many postures for the back and hips that put the body into a particular position that allow fresh blood to circulate around the vertibrae and hip sockets. As we stand, walk, sit and lie down our vertibrae and hip sockets find themselves in continuous positions that forbid circulation to particular areas. In tai chi this is known as 'stagnant chi'. By involving the breath and breathing a minimum of 3 deep breaths, Yoga postures/'asanas' and tai chi 'forms' allow freshly oxegenated blood to penetrate otherwise stagnant areas.

1 comment:

jim said...

I going to talk about timbers it's use mostly in timber fencing and timber wood it is a good type of wood which mostly use in these day's i really like it . it is a nice and most popular kind of wood which is durable and realistic which also have affordable prices.
timber brisbane