Why Use Sustainably Harvested Timbers?


I believe in the saying "We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Now that I have children I realize my children and other children look at me and our elders for guidance. It's a monkey-see monkey-do, lead by example experience. If I feel that I am part of the solution , and not part of the problem, then I am doing my part for our children.

I saw this picture of these children on my way to the Timber Framers Guild conference last year. It is a game where each child takes a turn saying something that is round or circular in their community. When a child can't think of something, then he is out. The last child in the circle becomes the leader of the tribe.

Ecosystems have two general directions they like to head, towards grasslands and forest or towards dessert. A forest ecosystem wants to succeed to old growth characteristics. An uneven stand of infants, toddlers, children, adolescents, adults, and elders. Selection logging allows an uneven stand to continue towards old growth. It keeps a canopy of trees shading the earth to prevent the top-soil, microrhizal mantel from drying out and dying. Clear-cut logging allows this thin layer of soil to dry out as it waits for replanting, allowing the forest to take a dangerous step back towards desertification.

1 comment:

jim said...

I going to talk about timbers it's use mostly in timber fencing and timber wood it is a good type of wood which mostly use in these day's i really like it . it is a nice and most popular kind of wood which is durable and realistic which also have affordable prices.
timber brisbane